Coin School, former District 734 (closed to the public)
A school system was in place in the Coin community as early as 1881 with classes being held in a log schoolhouse beginning in 1895. A one-room frame school was constructed in 1898 on land donated by John and Mathilda Swanson with the first classes beginning November 1899. Increased class enrollments necessitated the addition of another room in 1911. Records indicate that the teacher had 58 students in 8 grades in 1910-11.
The move to the History Center grounds began in 1993. The move to the Center was finally completed in August, 1995. The original bell was returned from the Blase home in Connecticut and with the talents of many volunteers, it was reinstalled in the bell tower. Many volunteers have assisted in the renovation and construction necessary to restore the schoolhouse and allow it to be host to events and programs including Rock-a-thon, which takes place annually in February.
In the near future, KHC hopes to host a fundraiser for making critical repairs to Coin School. We received a grant in 2020 from East Central Energy to purchase supplies needed for these repairs. Our fundraiser will pay for the labor expenses!
Maintenance and repairs are on going expenditures. Your donations will ensure that these buildings are here for future generations to enjoy!